Note: Since I am at home with my family on paternity leave for the next two weeks, this newsletter will encompass information covered by my substitute teacher(s) in that span of time.
- Jan 21 - No School (Martin Luther King Jr. Day)
- Jan 26 - Boys Basketball game at WHCS (9:45am)
- Feb 06 - Early Pickup (1pm) (Teacher Prof. Dev. Day)
- Feb 09 - Girls Basketball game at WHCS (9:45am)
- Feb 10 - Family Fun Night at Oaks Park (5pm)
- Feb 14 - Patriotic Party!
- Feb 15 - Honored Guest Day
- Feb 18 - No School (President's Day) (and the 7th anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Riedl's first date!)
- Feb 28 - Field Trip (Oregon Children's Symphony)
- [more] - click to view calendar
Curriculum and Tests
- Bible - Peacemakers 9-10 | Quizzes: Proverbs 16:2-3, Friday Jan.18, 2 Corinthians 12:9, Friday Jan.25
- Math - Finish Chapter 3 | Start Chapter 4 | Chapter 3 Test, Thursday Jan.17
- Science - Finish Light & Sound Unit | Light & Sound Unit Test, Wednesday, Jan.23
- History [Mrs. Proulx] - Finish Ancient Israel Unit | Start Ancient Greece Unit | Ancient Israel Unit Test, Tuesday Jan.15
- Reading - Start Aesop's Fables Unit
- Spelling - Unit 14 words: maybe, history, mouth, middle, step | Unit 15 words: child, strange, wish, soil, human | Tests weekly
- Grammar - Verb review (cont.) | Verb Test, Friday Jan.25
- Writing - Finish the Voice writing trait | Introduce Organization
Delaney is out of the womb!My daughter, Delaney Ruth Riedl, breathed her first breath of air on January 11 at 3:50pm. Thank you everyone for your prayers and encouraging words! For photos, please view my recent post.
Report Cards CommentsAs I already emailed to parents, I was unable to write comments on the report cards due to the timing of Delaney's birth. If you have any questions about report cards, please email me. I have my gradebook at home to look at student records if necessary.
Geography BeeOn Thursday, January 17th, at 2:10pm in the Auditorium, our very own Jake Dutt will be representing our class in the school Geography Bee! All are welcome to attend. Grades 3-8 will be competing. If Jake is unable to participate, Joseph Fruehauf will be on deck.
Crusader ChoraleLunch recess practice starts up again this week in the music room. Girls practice on Tuesdays and boys practice on Wednesdays.
SpanishMany have already heard that our West Hills Spanish program is extending up into the 5th grade, which started last week! Senora (Mrs.) Clay will be coming in on Monday afternoons for 20 minutes to teach the students (including Mr. Riedl!) this very useful and beautiful new language. We are excited and must remember to practica, practica, practica!
Science Lab Water BottlesEach student must bring one clear plastic water bottle, approximately 16oz with small lids, for a science lab activity on Thursday, January 17th. Please have them rinse it out and write their name on it. I also had the students write this on their calendars.
Communication While Mr. Riedl is GoneHopefully students and parents will be clear about upcoming assignments and deadlines over the next couple of weeks, while Mr. Riedl is gone on paternity leave. However, if there is confusion or an issue comes up with my substitute teacher(s), please first try to contact the substitute directly (via the classroom phone), or talk to Mrs. Proulx, or email me. I hope that this period of time that I am gone does not cause problems. I trust that the substitute teacher(s) in my place will do their best to help the students succeed.
Teacher ContactMr. Riedl | 503-977-5485 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Proulx | 503-977-5488 | email@example.com