|We met our Reading Buddies!|
Our first field trip is this week! Tuesday we will be hiking in Tryon Creek State Park, learning a lot about ecosystems and decomposers. We still need one or two more parents to volunteer for the field trip! It's always a wonderful hike, which is led by guides from the Friends of Tryon Creek. Please click here to sign up to volunteer! Thank you. More field trip details below. Make it a great week, everyone!
- Sep 23 - Field Trip: Tryon Creek State Park (9:30am-12:00pm)
- Sep 23 - Chorale After School Combo (3:10-4:00pm)
- Oct 03 - First Friday Spirit Day! Show WHCS School Spirit!
- Oct 04 - Crusader Day! (11am-3pm)
- Oct 16,17 - No School (Professional Development)
- Oct 27 - School Picture Retakes
- Oct 29 - Mr. Riedl's class leads chapel for Grades K-2 (8:30am) and Grades 3-5 (9am) (Auditorium)
- [more] - click to view calendar
Curriculum and Exams
- Bible - Lesson 1: God's Word Is True (cont.) | Verse: Romans 15:4 | Quiz Friday
- Math - Chapter 1 (cont.) | Quiz Tuesday
- Science - Populations & Ecosystems Unit (cont.) | Research Assignment (due before/on 10/13) | Unit Test 10/15
- Social Studies [Mrs. Proulx] << View all upcoming Island Project due dates on Mrs. Proulx's website | Geography Unit (cont.) | Island shape due Friday
- Reading - Finish training students in Lit Groups procedures | Character/plot skill in the story Miss Alaineous (cont.)
- Writing - 6 Traits of Writing curriculum: Ideas Unit (cont.)
- Spelling - Unit 3 core words: energy, week, explain, lost, spring | Tests given weekly
- Grammar - Prepositions Unit (cont.) | Upcoming test dates TBD
- Other - Chorale after school rehearsal this Tuesday [Music website]
Last Week's Student Tweets
- Today, we got our red shirts! I put mine on my head like a ninja. #studentninja -JS #studentweet 2014-09-18
- Today, on my Ecosystems sketch, I drew a dead person. #LOL -AL @andrewteamTDM #prepositionalphrase #studentweet 2014-09-17
- This afternoon the boys had Chorale and it was so fun! @WHCSMusic #WHCS #swag -OB #studentweet 2014-09-16
- This afternoon we had Chorale for girls and most of the 5th grade girls are in Chorale. It was loud in the @WHCSMusic room! -KB #studentweet 2014-09-15
- [more] - click to view all
Field Trip: Tryon Creek State ParkImportant reminder to the parents and students about the field trip on Tuesday! Please remember to wear clothes and shoes that are ideal for hiking in the wilderness (and be prepared if it rains!). Tryon Creek State Park is a very large park with long trails, so we will be traveling a relatively long distance on foot. Wear hiking boots or tennis shoes, and depending on the weather forecast, remember your rain jacket! Additionally, we will be returning to school by lunch time, so we will not be bringing our lunches with us.
Videos for homeworkThis is just a reminder about the email I sent to families several days ago. In my email, I mentioned that I would like to occasionally have students watch Science videos at home for homework. While I would love to show these engaging videos in class and discuss them with the students immediately, I also want to spend my class time doing things that can only be done in class, so that's why I think it could work to have students watch a video at home and then come to class the next day, ready to discuss what they have learned.
The question, however, becomes this: are there any families who would not be able to have their child watch videos for homework? All you would need is an internet connection and a device to watch the video. 99% of the videos I show are from YouTube, so I would simply post the video on my website, and then the students would go and watch it there. Please notify me if your child would be unable to do this task. If so, what is the reason? Do you not have internet access at home? Do you not have a device that would show the video? Please let me know, because there are ways to work around this problem if your child is unable to watch a video at home. Thank you!
Other School-wide EventsVisit the News & Events page to learn more about other school-wide events at West Hills Christian School. Please subscribe to stay updated. Thanks so much!
Teacher ContactMr. Riedl | www.riedlteach.com | 503-609-0109 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Proulx | visit her website | 503-977-5488 | email@example.com