|Crusader Day was a blast!|
Crusader Day was a huge success on Saturday! We really appreciate all of those who contributed to the school fundraiser in one way or another. I also donated to the school by offering teaching lessons for how to walk on your hands, and I look forward to meeting the lucky winner of my auction entry! Additionally, we still need volunteers for serving at Neighborhood House on the 21st and 28th this month... details below. Make it a great week, everyone!
- Oct 16,17 - No School (Professional Development)
2708 - School Picture Retakes
- Oct 29 - Mr. Riedl's class leads chapel for Grades K-2 (8:30am) and Grades 3-5 (9am) (Auditorium)
- Oct 29 - Progress Reports Emailed to Parents
- Nov 07 - Honored Guest Morning (7:30-9:45am)
- Nov 07 - First Friday Spirit Day! Show WHCS School Spirit!
- Nov 11 - No School (Veterans Day)
- Nov 24-28 - No School (Parent Teacher Conferences & Thanksgiving Break)
- [more] - click to view calendar
Curriculum and Exams
- Bible - Lesson 2: Abraham Trusts and Obeys | Verse: Hebrews 11:17 | Quiz Friday
- Math - Chapter 2
- Science - Populations & Ecosystems Unit (cont.) | Research Assignment (due on or before 10/13) | Unit Test 10/15
- Social Studies [Mrs. Proulx] << View all upcoming Island Project due dates on Mrs. Proulx's website | Geography Unit (cont.) | Island Climate Zone due Wednesday
- Reading - Character/Setting skill in the story Davy Crockett Saves the World
- Writing - Word Choice Unit | Introduce Dress-ups | Introduce first book report project
- Spelling - Unit 5 core words: correct, bed, measure, straight, base | Tests given weekly
- Grammar - Prepositions Unit (cont.) | Prepositions (D-O) Quiz Friday
- Other - None
Last Week's Student Tweets
- Tomorrow is Crusader Day! It's going to be awesome! There are going to be hamster balls. The hamster balls are so fun!!!!! -LR 2014-10-03
- Today at lunch, I put my feet around the bar under the table and leaned back. I laughed, and I turned bright red. #laughingtomato -KW 2014-10-02
- We learned about the Water Cycle. -MH 2014-10-01
- Today I figured out I can do a tornado with my water bottle and everybody liked it. I also brought it to lunch and did it some more. -SD 2014-09-30
- Today we listened to Nothing Ever Happens on 90th Street. There were five characters and there was action and romance. Bleh! #swag -CB 2014-09-29
- [more] - click to view all @MrRiedl5th tweets
Check student grades online and Returning missing workI have been entering student grades online using the Renweb gradebook, so please check it out. For help with navigating the Renweb site, please use these tutorials from last year: Written Instructions or Video Tutorial. The theme colors have changed since last year, but the basic format for navigating is the same. Please let me know if you have any trouble viewing student grades.
Additionally, I have repeatedly reminded students to keep their graded work packets, which are returned every Friday. Please store it in a location at home for the rest of the trimester. DO NOT throw out graded work until after report cards at the end of the trimester! This is important in case I make a mistake with data entry (which unfortunately happens on occasion... sorry I'm not perfect!). Click to read more about Missing Work Procedures & Returning Graded Work.
MAP (Measuring Academic Progress)Fall MAP began last week for the entire school. Just a reminder, MAP is the standardized testing used at West Hills to track student growth as they continually learn more. To ensure results that accurately reflect student knowledge, it is important that each student has plenty of rest, has a good breakfast, and does not have interruptions (i.e. doctor appointments) during the time of their tests. Let me know if you have any questions about the following schedule for our class:
Thursday, October 2nd, 1-2pm Friday, October 3rd, 1-2pm
- Thursday, October 9th, 1-2pm
Dates chosen to serve at Neighborhood HouseWe are in need of one volunteer for each day we go to Neighborhood House to volunteer: October 21st and 28th (both Tuesdays). We will be walking over to their building in Multnomah Village at 12:30pm, serving for about 45 minutes by sorting donations and stocking shelves for people in the neighborhood, and returning to school by 1:45pm. If you would like to help chaperone on the trip, please sign up here. We only have room for one spot for each date, so sign up quickly! There will be more opportunities later in the year as well. Thank you!
Other School-wide EventsVisit the News & Events page to learn more about other school-wide events at West Hills Christian School. Please subscribe to stay updated. Thanks so much!
Teacher ContactMr. Riedl | www.riedlteach.com | 503-609-0109 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Proulx | visit her website | 503-977-5488 | email@example.com